Saturday, May 31, 2008

RU wondering where we are?

We are home!!!!!!!!!!!!

We received Madisan's visa from the American Embassy around 4:30ish on Thursday. We cabbed it back to the hotel and Carter feverishly worked his cell-phone and moved all of our flights so that we could leave a day earlier than planned. I say "feverishly" because as he was doing this...he came down with a fever...and upset stomach...and then chills...and well we won't go into the gory details. We packed our stuff ASAP and departed the hotel at around 9:30 PM to board our 12:40 AM Thai Air flight back to JFK. Madisan was as good as she could be expected to be, and poor Carter was doubled over in pain in a cold sweat/fever for the entire flight (16 1/2 hours). At JFK, we had to traverse miles of terminal, two shuttle busses, and 4 security checks to board our 9:55 AM flight to Boston (all the while Carter looked like he was going to pass out). My father-in-law picked us up at the airport and we pulled into our driveway at 12 noon! (Door to door: only 25 1/2 hours!)

25 1/2 hours does amazing things in the area of bonding...We have a great Mommy-daughter thing going on. With Carter it has been a little more challenging as he has been completely out of commission with sickness - once home, the poor man went straight to bed and his folks actually took him to the emergency room last night (yes, he is that sick). He is on antibiotics and we are hopeful that he will soon be on the mend.

We surprised the kids by coming home early. They both look so BIG and so Wonderful! Madisan has been in heaven here! The look on her face is so joyful. Almost like, "If I had only know I was eventually coming HERE, I wouldn't have been such a basket case in Bangkok!" She loves,loves, loves Davis and is keeping right up with him. Sam is being a great big, BIG brother too. I'm sure the novelty will wear off, but for now it is great. She is into EVERYTHING and is a climber - climbs everything. The good thing is that she is too short to reach door handles and probably has never seen one anyway! The is pretty discombobulated in regards to time, so we were up from 11:00 PM - 2 AM last night. She was walking around with a huge shopping bag over her shoulder, chewing a (clean) paintbrush from the craft drawer, filling the shopping bag with toys and things with a huge smile on her face!

We'll post some pics when my poor, dear husband is verticle again! Thanks for all the good wishes everyone!

Well - I'm off to shower...the first time since Thursday AM...yep...I'm working on about 4 hours sleep over the last 3 days...it is SOOOOOOOOO great to be home!

Amy (and Carter...poor guy...love him...)

PS: Where do you buy cute girl barrettes? This girl has some serious hair!

12 comments:

Melissa Ens said...

Awwwww..... so good to hear you're home!!!!! So sorry about Carter... Ugh. How wonderful that things are better. : ) Looking forward to pictures!!!

Try Target, Walmart, Dollar Stores... you'll notice hair stuff is everywhere now that you have a reason to buy it! : )

Anonymous said...

Welcome home and we hope Carter gets better soon!!! Girl hair things...well we got no hair here so no advice yet - but i would go to Gymboree & Baby Gap. Or Jeannie and Jack if you have one of them.

Hirally

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Carter and Amy (and the entire family)! I've enjoyed keeping up via your blog. What an incredible journey (and, yet, your real journey is just beginning).

Now that you've got three kids, you're going to have to master the "zone" defense...no more "man-to-man"...you're outnumbered!

Carter, I hope you feel better soon!

God bless,


John Boeheim

(P.S. I can't help with you locate any barrettes...I've got three boys!)

TracyMcGal said...

Amen to the zone defense. The whole moving from 2 to 3 has thrown me for a loop. Someone said that going from 3 to 4 is a snap. I told them that I didn't want to find out! I saw my OB last month and made her swear to me that I wouldn't have any more! Don't get me wrong, I am happy as a can be but...done.

We always went to boutiques for Kara's bows. Now that she is going into 3rd grade we are about done with them. :( Isn't it great having a girl? I mean shopping is just the best.

I am so sorry for Carter. I brother did the same thing in Oct. while he was in Thailand. They almost quarantined the entire plane! I know that he will be on the mend now that he is home and in his bed.

Get some rest. Glad your back

~Tracy

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to hear you're home! I'd been checking daily to see where you all were. Hope the meds they gave Carter are working their magic...Congratulations to the now COMPLETE Holland family! All our love-Shan

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!! Carter - hope you feel better.

Barrettes - Claires http://www.claires.com and EBAY searching for M2M (made to match) bows. and of course Gymboree. I got most of Savana's clothes to date on Ebay - mostly Gymboree - with the hair, hat, purse to match.

Amy - you are going to love shopping for a girl.

Congrats to both of you :)

Liz C

Anonymous said...

I just went to the mall and I forgot all about Claire's is cheap and cute!!! Now I just need Khirissa to get hair!!!

Hirally

Anonymous said...

so happy to hear that you are home! we have enjoyed watching this journey unfold. all our best to you in the days ahead. plenty of sunshine ahead! love, joanne

Anonymous said...

Welcome home!!! This story makes me cry the happiest tears! I'll wait for your call. I can't wait to hear and see everything in person.(except what Carter's going through!) Feel better Carter

Much love-Kim M

L said...

Happy Birthday, Carter!

Welcome home....
Leah

Robin and Kyle said...

Welcome home! I hope Carter is feeling better. Glad to hear M is settling in well. I hope you're sleeping (tell me you have time to sleep, please! =) and where did Carter eat so we can avoid it? We're so sorry we missed you guys in BKK by a few days.

Anonymous said...

I found your site on another blog. My husband and I just came home in November. I was sick for over a month. Most of it was exhaustion, I believe. Congratulations! Oh, hair...Target has some of the best stuff. I also get ribbon to use because it is hard to find baretts with ribbon on them.

Rachel Ward
NC